Ground Meat Marathon

What am I up to now? Oh, yes. Night 6 of the great GROUND MEAT MARATHON!

This time, I made Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.

Except I was a little short on cabbage, having used the inner parts earlier for tostado and taco toppings. So I browned the elk meat very well, added some minced onion and a can of tomato paste. The only rice I had on hand was some good Arborio rice for risotto. I know it seems like a crying shame, but I went ahead and made beef risotto and added THAT to the mixture for the Cabbage Rolls. I wouldn't normally use something that special for peasant food like this.

Since I only had the outer leaves of cabbage, having saved them for this dish, I threw in a bit of good sauerkraut. I hope you won't rat me out. Some sweet basil and a beef stock added for a nice, moist and flavorful filling.

I dropped the cabbage leaves into boiling water until they were limp. Then I put a nice dollop of the filling into the center of each one and wrapped them up into tidy little bundles.

I have a confession to make. I just don't cook with condensed soups. All those recipes for things like chicken tetrazzini where they use cream of mushroom soup? Not me! This is the ONLY recipe I make that I use condensed soup. Are you ready? You better sit down. I spoon undiluted tomato soup over the top of the Cabbage Rolls. Sprinkle on some grated cheddar and bake until the cheese melts.

Now you know my dirty little secret. Tomato soup. I don't even like tomato soup, but it serves this dish well.

Night 6. Over and Out.

********

Comments

  1. This is a neat idea with the tomatoe soup! Im your newest follower : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts