Ground Meat Marathon

Night 5 of my Ground Meat Marathon!

This is getting kind of thrilling, isn't it? I can just hear you now....What will she do next? Is it something I've never heard of? What would I do, if I were blessed with over a hundred pounds of ground meat? Oh, it's too exciting to think about!

No? Huh. I was so sure.

Last night I made tostados. Mexican food is just such a natural for ground elk meat, you know? Early in the day, I threw a couple handfuls of pinto beans in my trusty sidekick, The Crock-Pot. God bless whoever invented it. I do not soak beans if I'm going to do it this way. I just let them take care of themselves. I promise, you'll never notice.  added some crushed red pepper, a little black pepper and a smidgeon of minced onion and that's it. I started them around 10:00 a.m., and by 5:30 they were perfect for re-frying.  Usually, I put them in a non-stick skillet and just mash them with the back of wooden spoon. I was feeling very wild and adventurous yesterday, so I used my stick-blender. Good heavens! It was amazing! Zip! Done! But I did leave a little too much of the bean "juice" in them and they were slightly runny. So I put them in the skillet anyway and cooked them down until they were perfect.

Guacamole. Once again, my handy-dandy stick blender mashed 3 avocados with a few tablespoons of salsa verde (commercially prepared), a pinch of salt and a splash of lemon juice. That stick blender is a wonderful invention. (It makes the custard part of making French Toast so easy, and the filling for pecan pie? Awesome.)

Any who. Back to business. I use the same ingredients for tostada meat as I do for tacos. A chipotle pepper, a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis, a pinch of cumin, salt, and pepper all added to the well-browned meat. Heat until the tomatoes mostly disappear, the chipotle is well distributed and everything smells just right. If you are using beef, I imagine you would want to drain it first. I hear there's fat in beef? I wouldn't know about such things. Since the first time my sweet hubs brought home an elk, I've never bought a package of ground beef. I did once buy a box of frozen beef patties for a barbecue at which some of the guests (Mom!!!) wouldn't eat unless it was domestic meat. Silly people. I bet my cholesterol levels are better than their cholesterol levels.

For the shells, I just bake store-bought corn tortillas in the oven until they are crunchy. If I'm feeling a little crazy, I drizzle them with chili oil first. I have made homemade corn tortillas, but most days I simply don't have time.

Get some shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa, and set out everything so everyone can build their own tostada. So easy. 

*******

Comments

Popular Posts