Living Deliberately

Henry David Thoreau said “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

It’s a notion that occupies me: what does it mean to live deliberately? I have some idea.

I think it’s about being fully present in any given moment, and I am working on being better at that. I’m pretty good about it in regards to food. :-) You won’t usually find me mindlessly stuffing my face, not noticing what I am eating. I love food. I don’t eat huge quantities, but I enjoy what I eat and pay attention to it.

I love to cook. NOT crazy about cleaning up, but sometimes even that can be a satisfying pleasure. But cooking...now that’s fun! It can be creative and expressive. I enjoy the smells, and the beauty of it. Beauty? Sure! The blush on a ripe nectarine, a bunch of glossy green basil, or those perfect little grape tomatoes? Food can be very pretty.

Even having a really good conversation can be a time to live deliberately. I have certain friends who let their passion for a topic show. They become animated and bright with excitement, and I love to talk with them. One of those friends also loves to eat the way I do, and we enjoy sharing a kitchen from time to time. I count her as one of the blessings in my life.

The way I see it, if I put my energy into paying attention to the moment, who I am with and what I am doing, I will be living deliberately. I know that I burn more calories, eat less but enjoy it more and feel better all the way around if I do. Old H.D. Thoreau could only approve.

Comments

  1. Great post! I agree with you...he could only approve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post. Lots of food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to remember that a lot! interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great perspective on life. Instead of just blitzing through everything, we should be more deliberate. Thanks for the reminder.

    And thanks for linking up on lovelinks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11 May, 2011

    So very true. Being in the moment is so important because it brings a richness to our journey here. Well put!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Post. I know I rush around too much sometimes and need to live in the moment more. When you do take more time, things are more enjoyable, just as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting thoughts. I think we could all benefit from living more delibrately. Too often I think we get pulled into the everyday and forget about what makes life worth living in the first place :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats because it seems you are, indeed, living deliberately! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts