Grandmas are forever

An email buddy said it made her a little sad to see her granddaughters growing up. She was afraid they'd grow up and not need Grandma anymore. I said "Baloney!" We always need our Grandmas! My own Grandmothers are waiting for me on the other side, now, but I think of them every day. The lessons they taught me were the lessons only a grandmother could give. I cherish their memories. They taught me:

You're never too old to be cool and you're never too young to be wise.

How to cook smelts. Yep. Not everyone can cook smelts, but I can. Thanks, Grandma!

We don't always see the ones we love with clear eyes.

You can be graceful under pressure, sweet when you're in pain, and you can exercise patience, even when you're in a hurry.

Children are beautiful, simply by virtue of being children. Knowing a child is a way to experience the wonder, all over again, through another's eyes.

Be grateful for all that we have. It may not be much by our society's standards, but compared to 99% of the world, we live in the lap of luxury. And be grateful, too, because it can all be gone in a blink.

Keep learning. Keep laughing. That's what will keep you young, no matter how old you get.

Love knows no boundaries. Distance, disappointment and death make no difference.

Thinking about the task ahead can be scarier than just jumping in and doing it.

Rock music isn't all that bad.

Listen to other people. Listen to your own heart. The wisdom of the ages lies somewhere between these two.

God judges us on our actions and our intentions. Shout "I'm a Christian" all you want, but if God can't see it in your heart or in your hands, you're just making wind.

Comments

  1. Coming over from Write On Edge, and these are definitely amazing lessons to have learned from your grandmothers :). I especially love "You can be graceful under pressure, sweet when you're in pain, and you can exercise patience, even when you're in a hurry."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia! Thank you so much for visiting and subscribing to my blog. It's so nice to "meet" you, and I'll follow you back! :) I know there are lots of gifts that my grandmother gave me. I hope to pass it them all on my own kids some day. ~Pam@ http://www.RoseRibbon.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. It made me miss my Grandma, I'll have to call her tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children are so blessed to have both grandma's close to them. They see them weekly ( if not daily ) and we are so blessed. Thanks for your post. ( TALU :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting me today! You're right: Grandmas close by is a blessing. I grew up with both of mine very near and I learned so much from them.

      Delete
  5. Love this post. I miss my Grammy too. It's amazing that I only had her for 12 years (and long distance) but she made such an impression on my life. I miss her to pieces. I'm the oldest grandchild and the only one who got to spend entire summers with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit: I still talk to mine all the time. :-) My Holland Grandma lived with us much of the time, and she stayed in my room. I used to think that was because I was special....but have since figured out it was because my room was nearest the bathroom! LOL

      Delete
  6. Funny reading this now. I just commented in my last post about some weird coincidence that made me think my Grandmother was checking in on me from the other side. Yup, we always need our grandmas! I lost mine more than 20 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't think of her. [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too... maybe I need to make myself a bead bracelet with the initials WWGD?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Aw, what a great post. I miss my grandma, too! And this makes me even more excited that my son will see one of his Meemo in just a few weeks!
    TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the "Missing Grandma" ever go away? I don't think so.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I love this post! I wrote a similar post recently about my two grandmas. I feel so blessed to still have them with me, as they are now ages 93 and 92! Two great ladies! We can learn so much from these amazing women who have gone before us. Great to find your blog today via the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Now I need to go read your post!

      93 and 92? Bless them! One of Grandmas lived to such an age, and she stayed sharp until the very end. Hope I inherit that!

      Delete
  9. This is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing this on talu this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And thank you for visiting me today!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts