A Grinchy Year

I admit it. I'm feeling a strange mixture of Grinchiness and Christmas spirit.

I want to love Christmas. I loved it once. Now that I'm older and more cynical wiser, I'm learning how to tell the difference between the real Christmas I love and the Christmas that is being crammed down my throat.

The parts I love:

  • I love the closeness of my small family on Christmas morning. It's one of the few days a year that we are all together in the same room, in our jammies, in the morning. 
  • I love the feeling of hope and wonder that comes from The Birth of The Savior. Even these 2000 years later, to stop to think that a Savior was born is awe-inspiring and beautiful.
  • I love to cook a feast for my dear ones and have them enjoy it.
  • I love the warmth that permeates the town, the result of everyone's combined Christmas spirit.
  • I love to find a perfect gift for someone: something small or large that will be meaningful to them and make them happy.
The parts I don't:
  • The competitive decorators. Oh. My. Gawd. There's a street a few blocks over that is absolutely friggin obnoxious. Drape your house in lights, folks, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me if your electric meter is turning so fast it smokes. But the music? That is too much. I know it sounds Grinchy, but seriously. Your Christmas music blasting in the front yard, tormenting people three blocks away, is obnoxious. The part that kills me is that these are the same people who will bitch about some kid driving by with his woofers blasting, and THAT only lasts a couple of seconds! When I want to hear Christmas music, I will choose my own, thank you very much.
  • Judgement. People who actually feel entitled to judge if I am giving to the "right" charity. Which, of course, means the charity THEY like. I am sorry, to all you good causes out there: I do not have the funds to donate to everything. Being a person of limited means, I try to choose wisely where my charity dollars go. Friends, family...leave me alone, OK? You'll just have to trust that I'm not donating to a fund dedicated to freeing Zombies Wrongly Imprisoned.
  • You do this. You know you do. I do it. Everybody does. You say it every year. "Here, have another cookie." Please stop, now. Thank you for the plate of cookies. I appreciate it very, VERY much. I do. It's just that I can't eat them all (with you watching me). Please don't try to make me eat more than I want to. And I promise, I will stop trying to make you eat everything, too. Deal?
  • The Grinch said it. "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more." Dr. Seuss nailed that one. I don't need the next, newest, fancier, shinier thing. Really, neither do you. I think Christmas gifts should be meaningful and personal. That isn't to say that a cool new tablet can't be meaningful. That's what my youngest son is getting. (Sorry, son. But I doubt you'll read this anyway.) For him, it is a gift that is a vote of confidence in his recent decisions. Christmas gifts are a lovely way to express your affection and thoughtfulness. They aren't meant to be an expression of your bank account and your shopping stamina.
Merry Christmas, everyone. I really do love this time of year....warts and all. :D

*********

Comments

  1. I agree with everything except the cookie part. Give 'em to me. All of 'em! And don't stop. In fact, just move into my kitchen and start making them year round.

    Yeah, that'll work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to this post. This year I went big on sentiment and small on spending/consuming (food, too)...felt so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honesty! You touched on something I have been afraid to communicate--I feel insecure when my kids' dad gets them "better" presents than I do. Our culture puts too much emphasis on gifts and I have succumbed to the pressure in the past. Utimately, if I provide what is reasonable the gifts are meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly, you're right. It's difficult when the gift-giving becomes a competition (especially between parents). But when you look back at your own childhood, what do you remember? The gifts themselves or the way Christmas made you feel? I remember decorating the house, making cookies, listening to Christmas carols, midnight Mass..... the MOMENTS of Christmas. Not the stuff. Your kids will feel the same way someday, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what a great, great post. I especially loved your cookie share. I've been there too - I get it. And re. the competitive lights - do you live in our hood? Because that music is killing me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right of course, the inner-debate on what is the season and what isn't. Yes it's about giving and not getting but isn't also about the look on the child's face Christmas morning from the magic of Santa - oh and one more cookie? Searching for the balance is hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the part where you talk about validating your sons decision. Christmas is and can be very personal. A mix of past and present. I happen to love lights, and music but because my dad forced us into the car every Christmas eve where my step brother and my sister and i would die laughing in the back about how serious everyone was. Now, I laugh internally whenever I see that over the top house but with the happiness of a child. As for the cookies, I have no willpower and love supermarket sugar cookies as well as homemade. But to be honest, it's about thoughtfulness of people that makes me the happiest. What can I do for them that will make them light up. Will let them know I thought about what they like and what might be fun or special for them. It's not about the amount of money, it's about the experience of the gift. Big, small, lots or little. Doesn't matter. To validate your child's decisions does not cost money but it puts them first. The greatest gift. Thanks for this wonderful post. I hope your Christmas was merry and even if part of it felt like it was in Who-ville, it was still all you wanted it to be:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an insightful post! I think it's a great reminder of what Christmas is really about. It goes beyond the decorations and the presents, and what you said are all so true.

    I think you've got it all in good perspective! Love all your favorite things about Christmas. They're the best kinds, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is way too much emphasis on gifts during Christmas. Shouldn't it be about togetherness and family? You nailed it with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The music piped out through the streets would really bother me, too! That is crossing a line somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've inspired me! My next blog post. What I love about Christmas. ... Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree! About everything you said, but especially the Christmas music. My best friend lived across the street from one of those Christmas music blasters, and it would absolutely drive me crazy when I visited. I can't imagine LIVING near it. And gifting has completely gotten out of control thanks to all the commercialization. Oh, I could go on and on!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANK YOU! I am getting tired of Corporate Christmas. So I have devised a plan to be on a cruise every year for the Christmas holiday. Spending time with family WITHOUT the stress of gifts and all the hoopla.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts