I Have to Know

Please explain it to me? Please? PLEASE!!!

My dear friend is going to have back surgery tomorrow. People. ranging from our letter carrier to the checker at the grocery store, are telling her their horror stories about back surgery. "Oh, it was awful. He had to be caged for 2 months..."

Strangers will tell expectant mothers that they were in labor for 100 hours. When people find out that someone has cancer, they tell the most frightening tales about what someone else went through.

Why do we do this? Shouldn't we all know better?

Comments

  1. I have a theory Patricia, people are just so over exposed to all types of bad stuff and other information through the media that they've become insensitive.

    When they meet someone and they are told (lets say your friend) that she's is going to have back surgery that news is supposed to be met with compassion.

    Their response seem's to be disconnected more like they were responding to a news item rather than the compassion we'd expect. The one-upmanship is rather sad.

    Whether their self involved or just plain bad listeners I'm not sure, just take your pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you're right! We get so wrapped up in what we're going to say next, we forget to stop and think about what someone is saying. Maybe we all need to have our Mommas standing beside us, reminding us how to play nice?

    I just received word that the friend is out of surgery and in the recovery room. I'll be praying for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear she's doing OK Patricia. I'll send up a prayer for her as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts