Stamppot - My Modern American Version

Here is a recipe for something I threw together on Saturday night. It's a little American twist on a Dutch comfort food from my childhood, which I think Mom called "Stamppot", or something like that. It sounds more like her word if you clear your throat while you're saying it. This will feed four, or makes terrific leftovers.

Preheat oven to 375
(cube everything bite-sized)
  • 3 white or red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
  • 2 cups of cubed other potatoes: I had some lovely red-fleshed fingerling pototoes, but a couple of larger Yukon golds would work. Whatever you think looks good.
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 sweet onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 good-sized bunch of kale, washed super-well and chopped. Cabbage would also work, but kale is better.
  • 1/4 cup grated cheese. I had extra-sharp cheddar on hand, but smoked Gouda would be DEEE-vine.
  • 1/4 cup of crumbled feta. I think blue cheese might also be tasty, but I haven't tried it.
  • butter and olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • a smidgeon of Montreal Steak Seasoning, if you have it.
  • Optional: meat. I used 4 chicken sausages with red pepper and garlic, sliced. It's what I had on hand. Cooked bacon or diced ham would be more traditional, but this dish doesn't really need any meat if you're shooting for vegan.
This could be a one-pan meal with a little tweaking, but I love the roasted flavor I get by preparing it this way.

Put the potatoes in a large roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and the steak seasoning. Stir to coat all the cubes, and roast for 15 minutes. Then add the sweet potatoes and stir again. Meanwhile:

In a large skillet, melt a tablespoon or so of butter, and saute the onions until they are just getting brown on the edges. Add the garlic and saute a few minutes more. If you're adding sausage or ham, add it now and get some brown yummy goodness going on that too. If you're using bacon, wait. You'll add it later.

When the onions and meat are brown and good, add the chopped kale. Cook it down until it's wilted, but still bright. Stir this mess into the mess in your roasting pan. Add the bacon now, and add the shredded cheese. Stir it all together, sprinkle the feta on top and roast for 15 more minutes.

This is bright and colorful comfort food. I think it would be wonderful alongside a cup of creamy soup, with a lovely salad, or just with a chunk of hearty bread. And of course, as always....serve with wine!

OK, I lied. I had this with a nice stout beer: Slow Elk from Big Sky Brewing Company.

Comments

Popular Posts