Scary

I don't know how to tell you this story without revealing to you that I haven't been very good about the housework lately. Judge me if you feel you must. :D

In early July, I bought a loaf of "soft wheat" bread.

You see, we can't agree on bread in my house. I like rye and pumpernickel and 12-grain and all that jazz. Sweet Hubs likes white bread. Soft, fluffy, tasteless, gut-wadding white bread. Not that I'm judging, either. Very much. Out loud.

I bought a loaf of soft wheat. Several days passed and I hadn't opened it, so I put it in the fridge. It's hot in Arizona, after all. Then life got away from me. We went on vacation. We put in a lot of hours at work. And nobody cleaned out the fridge.

So, here we are in September and I was going to throw together BLTs for dinner at the end of a very long and trying day. I looked at that loaf of bread and the expiration date said July 8. Best if used by. JULY 8!

That bread expired two months ago. And there isn't one speck of mold on it.

I realize, of course, that refrigerating it is going to slow the mold. But two months? Really? My homemade bread is fuzzy before the week is out if we don't eat it all.

What could possibly be in that bread that even mold can't live on it? It's scary to think about!

I think I'm starting to remember why I make homemade bread.

***********

Comments

  1. That's funny. I remember one time I took a loaf of some kind of store bought bread to work to make P&J sandwiches if I forgot my lunch. That loaf sat on top of my file cabinet for over a month before it even got a trace of mold on it.

    I left it up there and it took ages for it to "age" to the point I had to throw it away. It was scary! I didn't ever buy that kind of bread again.

    Thanks for this story and reminding me of my own scary bread story:~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a divided household. Since Ben does most of the shopping we usually end up with white, although lately he has "compromised" by buying "whole grain white", whatever that means.

    Bread in my house tends to sit for a long time. Usually by the time we go to use it, it's COVERED in mold. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

    -Selena@Becausemotherhoodsucks

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same bread issues in our house although I'm the plainer one - I like plain ol'wheat and my husband likes pumpernickel, rye, etc. I don't know what it is but we usually end up with three bread bags in our pantry with only the end piece in it. Ugh. So guess who ends up eating them. Me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts