The Dig


If Arizona were to have our own Mount Vesuvius tomorrow, what would some future archaeologist think when she dug up my house? 
I have been told that I have a redonkulous number of utensils.
Salt (in the red bowl), pepper mill, olive oil and chili-infused olive oil,
and a jar full of Bigelow teas.
I've heard some pretty far-out theories about what ancient objects did or symbolized. Once I heard a guy on PBS say that the comb they had unearthed, which was carved into a stylized bird, meant that the culture worshiped birds. Just because somebody smoothed her hair with a comb shaped like a bird? C'mon, now, really!
An Arizona Coues' Whitetail deer skull.
A favorite wine.
Just for fun, today, imagine you are that future scientist. What would you surmise about the people who lived with these artifacts? These are all pictures of my actual home, or web pictures of something that is in my home. Comments about the disorder of my pantry are not required. Believe me, I NOTICED it.


Tell me what the daily life of those people might be like, or pick one object and tell me what significance it had for the owner. For extra credit, make up some completely different use for one or more of the objects.
No pots on my pot shelf. A light that runs along behind
the (naturally shed) elk antlers makes this look really cool at night.


Bols genever (gin) bottles. They look just like my Auntie and Uncle.
Half my collection of condiments, seasonings, vinegars, dressings, etc. etc.
A memento from our honeymoon.
Tigger looks pretty good for nearly 30.
He's hardly aged a day.
No picture of my house would be complete with the object of
my burning passion...my Kitchenaid. Love my Kitchenaid.
A second crock full of utensils. I may have a problem. You might see
me on the special utensil-addict edition of Hoarders?
My shoes. I admit it: they go all the way back under the hanging
things on both sides. Girl's gotta have shoes.

My dresser. Look close: jewelry boxes, old photographs.
A basket of bracelets and one of assorted junk. Wedding photo,
photo album and a Sunday Missal. Plus a flashlight. And dust.
Where it all happens. The games, the dinners, the writing,
family "discussions". I love the triangle design of the table,
but the designers put grooves in the damn thing. I spend my
life sweeping crumbs out of those stupid grooves.
On the wall in my bedroom. The crucifix
on the left is a family heirloom, supposedly
of Civil War vintage. The one on the right
belonged my Dad. Spiders in my house
can often be found building their homes
right there with Jesus.
Don't YOU have an elephant under your potted plants?
An antique wagon with dog toys in it.
And an assortment of computer cables.
Two of the six pantry shelves. They all look as messy as this. :-(

I can't explain.
Our little coffee station.
Why does she lay like this? Oh, I know....because it cracks me up!

Have fun! I can't wait to read your comments!

Comments

  1. I would like an elephant under MY plants. And shoes. AND your dog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to the elephant and the shoes. I couldn't possibly part with the dog, though. :D

      Delete
  2. I share your love of a Kitchenaid mixer. Also that table is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only half kidding when I say that if Kitchenaid ever makes a car, I'll be first in line.

      I love the table, but I hate the grooves!

      Delete
  3. LOL-I think an archeologist with a penchant for history would think they dug up Imelda Marcos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to be Imelda Marcos...but I'd love to have her shoe budget!

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous of your Kitchenaid. And holy moly at the shoes! Very impressive collection. I think an archeologist will think that we're all crazy because almost all of us have random things around our house that don't seem to 'fit.' Love the dog photo as well - mine lays like that all the time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweet hubs says I have too many shoes. I didn't believe him, but the comments are making me wonder! :D

      The gin bottles, wooden shoes and the elephant are the real red herrings in my house. Ah....sentiment.

      Delete
  5. I took a look around my house just now. I don't even want to guess what they might make of my belongings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they'd have a tough time figuring any of us out.

      Delete
  6. I love the elephant! And your table. I can't really think of anything clever to say about them though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of his little tusks keeps falling out. One of these days, it will probably fall into one of the silly grooves in the table and be swept away forever. :D

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Love shoes. LOVE 'EM! And we all need lots and lots of them because we wear them every day. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete
  8. These are great! Tchotckes bring joy and whimsy to a house, so no, I don't think your things are funny or out-of-place. I did laugh at the idea of a Hoarders episode devoted to utensils. Now that would be something to behold. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I admit that I also have a utensil drawer? And a basket of other gadgets like cookie cutters and tortilla presses in the pantry?

      No. Pretend I never said that.

      Delete
  9. haha. love this concept. oh man...what my house would say!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll never know until you post the pictures! :D

      Delete
  10. I want Tigger!! And shoes, omigosh, so many shoes!

    Collector of things much? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You should see the stuff I've gotten rid of! :D

      You can't have Tigger. I'm sorry. He's been witness to too many things in our 27+ years together and I'm afraid you'd make him talk.

      Delete
  11. I dare say I thought I was a courageous honest blogger...but I wouldn't do this without notice... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll notice I didn't post any pictures of my dresser drawers, or (YIKES!!!) the main part of the fridge?

      Delete
  12. I had other things I was going to say, but then I saw your puppy and now all I can think is puppy, puppy, puppy! Love those elk antlers. I bet it does look cool when the lights are on. And shoes! *Drool*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Now I must take my own inventory and see what the future might unearth about me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to come back to this one first! I like utensils too. I have to talk to myself when I'm out and say, "Kenya you don't need that." But when my son brings home one of those fundraiser things, guess what I buy? I also have the same Kitchen-Aid mixer. I bought it for myself once upon a Mother's Day. Best money I have ever spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying that if Kitchenaid would just build a car, I'd be first in line. WHY won't they listen? :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts