A Legacy

I was a lucky child in many ways, not least of which was that my Holland Grandma lived with us for much of the time. She was wise and patient, witty and insightful and a wonderful grandma in every way.

She loved the fragrance of onions sauteing in butter and would usually come into the kitchen, just to smell, if Mom was cooking them. If Grandma was feeling a little "off her feed", the smell of those onions would kick start her appetite almost every time.

Grandma got her own apartment 40 years ago, and has been gone for almost 20 years, now. But every time I have onions cooking in a skillet, I think of her and smile. (I love the way they smell, too).

You just never know what people are going to remember about you when you're gone. I doubt she thought of a love for onions as some kind of legacy. What she really handed down to me was to remember to appreciate those little moments in every day.

When my husband leaves for work in the morning, I bury my face in his chest and enjoy just breathing him in for a moment, before we part for the day. If a song I really like comes on the radio, I pay attention. I appreciate the way my dog jumps up to see me. She kind of stands on her hind legs and gently places her front paws on my ribs. I've never seen a gentle-jumping dog before her. I take a moment to notice the pink and orange of the western horizon at day's end.

And when I am cooking onions in butter, it's a pleasant moment worthy of notice. I thank my Grandma for teaching me that lesson.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit me! I truly appreciate your comments!

Popular Posts