Simplicity at its Finest

I live a very simple life in many ways.  It's rather more complicated than I'd like it to be, but compared to many people, my life is simple.  I have a continental heritage that was tempered with a rural upbringing.  Mom taught me how to cook, bake, sew, mend, clean, set a table, mother, discipline and (to some degree) educate.  Dad taught me how to pray, shoot, pluck, gut, shovel and split kindling.  The sweet hubs taught me how to hunt, fish, um....  love!, cuss and stack firewood, which I still do not do to his satisfaction LOL.  My various jobs have taught me about customer service, how to cook eggs, plumbing, insurance, prioritizing and technology.  My children taught me about love, laughter, patience, wonder and frustration.  My Holland Grandma taught me about perseverance, wisdom, resiliency, joy and oliebollen.  My favorite Auntie taught me about true Christian charity, putting on a brave face and unconditional support.

I drive a fun, fast, small, efficient car and live in a rather small house.  I've only been married one time, to a guy I intend to stay married to.  If he keeps me.  I usually shop at just one grocery store, and when I go there, I buy almost no convenience food.  If you find a box of hamburger helper in the pantry, you're not in my house.  I don't go to the day spa, I paint my own nails and I usually cut my own hair (I can hear you gasping in horror.) and the sweet hubs' hair, too.   I make some of my own clothes, some of my own pasta, some of my own bread, all of my own gravy.  I do my own cleaning.  If I hired someone to clean my house would surely look better, but it's my own mess.

I went to Starbucks once and I didn't like it.  (I'm sorry, Holly.  Please still be my friend?)  I don't like horror movies;  who needs those pictures in their head?  I read the same books over and over.... and over.  I guess I'm as predictable as the sunrise.  Is that a good thing?  I'm not sure. 

It's a simple life.  I drink my home-perked coffee the same way every day, I try to pry my sleepy teen out of his odd-teenage-funk-smelling bed with the same words and I leave for work at the same time. 

I think I need to change it up.

Comments

Popular Posts