No Resolutions

It isn't that I want to be different, or revolutionary, but I don't DO New Year's Resolutions. I don't. I really do try to just solve things as they show up, January or June. Who needs to wait until a new year starts to try harder? I try to be better, sometimes successfully and sometimes not so much, all year long.

There is value in a new year and a new start, of course. It works for a lot of people to make resolutions. It just so happens that I don't have that kind of willpower. I have to eat my elephants one bite at a time, instead of trying to wolf down the whole thing in January. I admire people who can make a New Year's Resolution and keep it. I'm not one of them.

I'm trying to wean myself off of sugar in my coffee and tea. I've been trying for a long time. It might be significant to my difficulty that I don't personally want to do this, but sugar in my coffee drives my husband crazy. I guess sweet coffee is a weakness? So I'm trying. I might just give up coffee, instead. I can use honey in my tea, but honey in coffee is just wrong. The hubs is fine with honey. I wonder if he could handle it if I drank coffee with molasses? That's an improvement, right?

We have quite a bit of game meat in the freezer. I've been eating game meat for close to 23 years and I'm tired of the stuff. (side note: it's no treat, dear friends, to go to a restaurant that serves venison and buffalo! That's like going to a restaurant and having ramen soup or something.) But we have the meat in the freezer. I figured it out and we've been eating game meat, on average, 5 nights a week for just over 22 years. That's over 5720 game meat meals. And I cooked almost every one of them. Folks, I'm out of ideas. No matter how hard I try, I can't turn a pound of elk burger into a salmon filet or a chicken.

So, I'm trying to look at that freezer full with new eyes. I'm trying to will myself to not be bored with game meat. Wish me luck. I am grateful to have it, I really am. I know I am blessed. Is it a sin to be bored with a blessing? Probably. I'll have to work on that.

My biggest flaws, as I see it, are my opinionated nature and my tendency to speak my mind too much. I am trying to force myself to not judge another for doing something different than what I think I would have done. This is dreadfully difficult for me, I have to tell you. I have fought against it all my life. I don't intend to do it, but I do. It's simple math, I suppose. I expect n + You do y = I think you're an idiot. OK, maybe not always an idiot....

Worse, once I conclude that someone is an idiot, I say it. Shame on me. I have GOT to stop doing that. No one wants to hear that I think someone is an idiot. So I am working on that one, too.

Again, wish me luck.

Comments

Popular Posts