Buttermilk Pie

I don't know why, but even though I am lactose-intolerant, I can enjoy this dairy dessert with minimal misery. I suppose the buttermilk cultures break down some of the lactose for me?

Buttermilk Pie
(one pie)
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
¼ cup melted butter (only the real stuff!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)


one unbaked pie shell

preheat oven to 350

Mix eggs on high speed until lemon colored and somewhat foamy. Stir flour into the melted butter, add to eggs and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on high for one minute. Pour into shell, sprinkle with chopped nuts and bake until top is golden and pie is set.

(I call this the jiggle test: If you move the pie a little and it undulates like a waterbed, bake longer!)

If you choose to omit the nuts, this is excellent with sweetened sliced strawberries or cherry pie filling on top. If you like nuts, try coating them with a little honey and toasting them before you put them on the pie.

Comments

Popular Posts