Scare Tactics

I logged on to my email account and a banner ad, a very official-looking one, announced that I had been unfriended by three people. If I clicked on the ad, I could find out why.

I had a fleeting moment of hurt feelings. And then I remembered that I'm not on FB, so who could be unfriending me? (forehead slap) Obviously, I did not click on the banner, so I don't know what they are really selling. Maybe a book on how to make friends and turn yourself inside out to please other people?

The genius who created this ad has tapped into some deep social structure in our human brains. We all want to be liked, even if it's just by strangers on Facebook. What a clever marketing device. Or else, what a chicken sh!t thing to do just to get clicks.

I suppose it's all about intent.

Comments

Popular Posts